Sunday, June 12, 2011

Summer Vacation - Week #1

This week was our first week of Summer Break - and it was a full one!  I'm going to attempt to stay caught up by doing a weekly summary - we'll see how that goes!
MONDAY
We were just kind of lazy in the morning - it's usually my laundry day but it just didn't happen that day.  Instead I got a few more boxes of craft goodies unpacked and put away.  For the rest of the summer, Mondays are going to be our craft day, so I'm glad I finally have all of my supplies accessible so we can create lots of fun things - tomorrow has something to do with beads!  After lunch the kids all went to music classes - Trysten and Brailee did Music & Movement, then Brailee and the older girls all did Clogging.  After we got home Trysten started to come down with a fever and a headache - some weird bug that has now gone through everyone in the house, luckily those are the only symptoms and it doesn't last very long, but we did have some good snuggle time!

TUESDAY
This was supposed to be preschool for Trysten, but because of his fever the day before we stayed home that morning.  The girls kept themselves entertained building villages out of Lincoln Logs in Trysten's room.
 
We did go in to town for another day of Music Classes after lunch.  That night the older girls started ball practice.  Brianna is in Coach Pitch Baseball and is the only girl on her team.  Kaylee is in Girls Softball and she got bumped up to the 10 & 11 year old girls because there weren't enough girls in her age group.  Unfortunately they don't have enough girls for more than one team, so they will only get to go over fundamentals, but that will be good, too.  I think Brianna's age group is the only one that will actually get to play games - they managed to get 3 teams.  The joys of living in a small town!
WEDNESDAY
This is our Playgroup Day - we hiked Monument Hill, which was a first for our family.  The kids were great on the hike - there were 11 kids (ages 2-9) plus 3 babies, and only 5 adult.!  We hiked up...

We ate lunch at the top and enjoyed the view.
Book Worm!
Gummy Worm!

...and then hiked back down just in time for Kaylee to head to a church activity for girls 8-11, and the other kids to go to Music Class.
That afternoon we had a pretty good thunder/lightning storm and lost power (second time it's happened in the last couple of weeks).  We had fun playing board games, doing puzzles, and listening to the thunder.

THURSDAY
This is our cleaning morning - the kids are such great helpers, they were washing windows, sweeping and mopping floors, dusting, vacuuming - what can I say, I'm a slave driver!  They all did it with a smile, though.  After that we went to the last Music Class.
Enjoying a treat from the teacher.

Then we went to the library.  It started to POUR just as we got to the library, but we headed in anyway to return some books and check out some new ones.  I carried the two little ones and ran inside - we were soaking wet by the time we got in, and thanks to the major thunder and lightning going on the kids wanted to stay inside until it was all over.  Fortunately the rain didn't last long, so once it died down we quickly checked out our books and headed home.  There was so much water in the streets I had to carry the little ones to the car and walk through about 5 inches of water just to get in, I was glad I was wearing flip flops!  When we got home we could tell it hailed a lot more at our place - it looked like spots of snow.
It stormed a little more that afternoon, off and on, and that night just as the sun was going down we saw the most incredible rainbow I think I have ever seen - it seemed to glow!  I couldn't get the entire rainbow in one pic so here it is broken down.
Up...
...and over...
...and down!
That night we played with marbles.
FRIDAY
Kaylee was in a Flight Club at school, and at the end they were supposed to fly on an airplane - it got cancelled a few times due to bad weather but she finally got to do it on Friday.  She was so excited!
After that we got to hang out with some friends from R-ton who came to visit - then more ball practice that afternoon.
SATURDAY
We had a bit of a lazy day hanging out at home with Daddy.  In the morning we hung out and played with cars, more marbles, and the computer on the living room floor.  Throughout the day, I got a few more things unpacked and put away and then we BBQ'd for dinner.
***
Whew - what a week - but we had fun - we're looking forward to the rest of the summer!  If you've made it this far, thanks for visiting!  I hope you enjoy your summer as well.

5 comments:

LaRon and jNae said...

Great week! I can't wait for Kaylee to tell me about the flying - WooHoo for Skype time! It will be great to see their sweet faces, I just wish I could reach out and squeeze them too! Love you!!!

Ryan and Melissa said...

You do so many fun things as a family and I love it! Cute pictures. How's the clogging class?

Willefam said...

WOW!! What a fun week!! Ammon had that same bug last Friday- weird huh? Glad its gone! Your kids are just getting so big so fast! Have a great rest of your summer!!

Delina

Unknown said...

I enjoyed seeing your gorgeous Wyoming views and reading about your weekly activities--have a wonderful summer full of blessings! Your photos are precious!

Jeanne said...

Even though I've slacked off on commenting, I have been visiting and enjoying your blog, Jena. I really enjoyed the recap of your first week of summer break. Looks like you all had an adventurous one! The views where you live are spectacular!

Enjoy this magical time with your kids!